Faux Sea Glass & Ideas for Summer Centrepieces

60 comments
Faux Sea Glass & Ideas for Summer Centrepieces
I have always loved sea glass.  My favourite part of being on the beach is treasure hunting for pieces of it and sea shells. I also love a creative challenge and so when I saw the Silhouette Challenge for July was "summer" themed, I set out to make a decorative jar with the the look that I love...

There were a few options that I found online to getting the sea glass look. My original inspiration came from this beautiful bottle that I found HERE on Pinterest.
Lauren Saylor of A Fabulous Fete hand painted the writing on the bottle. I was hoping she was going to share how she got the sea glass look on her bottle, but she bought it at Michaels already weathered.

The plan was to use an etching cream, but when I read all of the warnings of the toxicity on the package and saw the price tag which was beyond my budget, I began to think of alternative non-toxic solutions to get the look.  

The first thing that came to mind was to use pastel coloured tissue paper and adhere it with "Mod Podge".  There were some challenges with this technique, but if you have a wide mouth jar without writing on it, you will be in good shape. I found this particular jar at the thrift store. I used a piece of tissue paper that I had in my stash and found one of them was just the right shade of aqua and had some texture to make it look like the picture above.

Faux  Sea  Glass  using  Tissue  Paper 
FOR THIS LOOK, here is what you will need...
        • widemouth glass jar
        • Mod Podge in matte finish
        • tissue paper in muted colour
        • net, twine or rope to cover the rim of the jar with
        • brush for applying Mod Podge
        • hot glue and glue gun for attaching net around rim

Steps 
1. Find some pastel coloured tissue paper you like and cut it a little larger than what you would need to wrap the jar. 2. Brush on a generous layer of Mod Podge and immediately wrap the tissue paper around the jar being careful not crease it or tear it. 3. Apply Mod Podge over the tissue paper and let dry. 4. Cut off the excess paper on top and on the back where they meet. 5. Attach net or twine of your choice to the rim of the jar with hot glue. 6. Cut the vinyl letters on your Silhouette and carefully apply letters to the jar.
 
To imitate her beautiful handwriting, I figured that my "Silhouette would come in handy to try and get a script verse cut out of white vinyl to achieve the look.  Make sure to use a thick font no smaller than 72pts.  I attempted smaller sized type and inevitably lost bits and pieces of it when I tried removing the vinyl around the letters.



Although it is not real weathered sea glass, I am pleased with the results. The jar, net around the rim, tray and shells all came from the dollar store. So for less than $5, I have a pretty summer vignette. I think it would make an awesome centrepiece for a wedding with the couple's initials.

The jar to the far right was also covered in an ombre coloured tissue paper. Altough there is some overlap of the paper as you get closer to its neck, I think it still looks pretty with the netting around the rim.

Faux  Sea  Glass  using  Food  Coloring, 
Mod  Podge  and  Paint 
FOR THIS LOOK, here is what you will need...
    • small glass jar or small bottle
    • Mod Podge in gloss
    • food colouring
    • acrylic paint in a light shade of aqua
    • sponge brush for applying Mod Podge
    • sea sponge for applying the paint

Steps

1. mix 2 drops of blue and 3 drops of green into a tablespoon of Mod Podge and mix well. 2. Using your sponge brush, cover your jar or bottle with the coloured Mod Podge, patting it with the sponge brush so that you get a bit of texture. It will look milky when wet as in the bottom left photo and then will dry transparent 3. Let dry well. 4. Mix equal parts Mod Podge and acrylic paint in a light aqua shade. 5. Wet your sea sponge and wring dry6. Put a small amount of paint on the sea sponge patting it onto a piece of paper towel to get rid of the excess. 7. Pat the sponge onto the jar or bottle, trying to get an even amount of pattern throughout the entire piece. 8. Let dry and seal if desired with varnish.


NOTE: This technique is better suited for small glass containers, as it is more difficult to get a consistent pattern on a larger surface. Also note that the colouring is not permanent. it will come off with water. I really like how this particular technique looks on these small square vinegar bottles that I had on hand. They already had an aqua tint to them and looked the most like sea glass with the food colouring and the paint. What do you think?


Faux  Colored  Glass  using  Food  Coloring
FOR THIS LOOK, here is what you will need...
        • clear glass jar, bottle or vase
        • food colouring
        • vinyl lettering of your choice 

Steps

1.  Adhere vinyl to jar or vase. 2. Mix 1 drop of blue and 2 drops of green food colouring into a container of water. 3. Add more water until you get the colour you want. A little goes a long way!


I think this would look so cute for a beach wedding. What do you think? I hope I have inspired you to put together a cute summer vignette with the help of your "Silhouette"...

My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, so peruse the projects below for a wealth of Silhouette inspiration!

Summer CardsDIY Fringe Beach Cover-UpSummer Burlap Wreath with Chipboard InitialDIY Tribal Summer Love Shirt with Glitter HTVMason Jar Monogram T-Shirt with Free Cut FileSummer Jar LightDIY Painted Anchor Beach Candle HolderPatio Door WatermelonsPersonalized Shower CaddyHow To Tie Dye A Shirt With Spray Tie Dye!Summer Memories JarFAUX SEA GLASS DECORATIVE JAREtched Monogrammed Mason Jar MugDIY Zip Code Pallet Sign
1. Home At Eight // 2. DIY Just Cuz {Sam} // 3. DailyDwelling // 4. Where The Smiles Have Been // 5. My Paper Craze // 6. Get Silvered // 7. DIYJustCuz {Brittany} // 8. Whatcha Workin' On? // 9. The Stamp Doc // 10. Practically Functional // 11. Simply Kelly Designs // 12. Patina Paradise // 13. Architecture of a Mom // 14. Weekend Craft


Blessings,
Lucy

Partying at these locations...

Your Turn to Shine @ Bless'er House
Feathered Nest Fridays @ French Country Cottage
Creativity Unleashed @ Practically Functional
Fridays Unfolded @ Nancherrow
Shabbilicous Fridays @ The Shabby Art Boutique
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Catch as Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
A morning Cup of Joe @ The Cottage Market
Think and Make Thursdays @ Little Red Brick House
Simple and Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme
Anything Blue Friday @ The Dedicated House
Friday Features @ Oh My Heartsie Girl
Saturday Sparks @ Pieced Pastimes
Share it One More Time @ One More Time Events
Sundays at Home @ Thoughts From Alice
That DIY party @ diy showoff
Inspiration Monday @ Redhead Can Decorate
Something to Talk About @ The Altered Past
Inspire Me Monday @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
The Scoop @ Stone Gable
The Inspiration Board @ Carolyns Home Work
Talented Tuesdays @ Home Remedies
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Friday Favorites @ Casa Watkins

                                                



60 comments

  1. Wow, I love this tissue paper technique. Brilliant job, really captures that Sea glass look and the vinyl lettering opens up so many possibilities. Thanks for showing us the technique and your jars are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  2. These jars look so cool and beachy...a real summery feel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out great! I've never used Mod Podge before but there are clearly endless possibilities for applications. It really does look like sea glass, pinning this! -- Sam from DIYJC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I look at this I'm amazed that it's paper!! It looks so fabulous and seemed so simple to do!
    Pinning :)
    --Brittany
    www.diyjustcuz.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. Martha Stewart has a glass paint that works better than the Mod Podge if you ever want to try that. I'm with you on the tinted water method. Back in the 60's my mom had glass swans and every few weeks she changed the water and the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, by the time I found out about the Martha Stewart glass paint, I did not have enough time to order it. Wow your mom was ahead of her time with the tinted water! lol

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, Lucy, I love the Fau glass ideas, I have wanted to do this for so long. You have some great options and the tissue paper sounds like something I could manage. I have seen where they use paint swirl around in bottles and bake in the oven, that didnt appeal to me, so thank you for this informative tutorial!!

    Now I would like to invite your to share on my Friday Features Linky Party!!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Karren
    #OMHGFF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite. I have shared at your party!

      Delete
  7. I love how your faux sea glass turned out. I have done the food coloring with mod podge and also food coloring with elmer's glue but have not tired the tissue paper. I love that technique and will have to try it out. Your vignette is beautiful. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! Glad I have inspired you to give it a try. Hope you find some tissue paper that has some flecks in it!

      Delete
  8. Wow...how pretty! I love the way these turned out! Visiting from Sundays At Home

    xoxo
    Lisa @ Fun Money Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I think that they all turned out great! I have used Mod Podge and tissue before and I like the look. I love the writing on the bottles! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, always happy to link up to your party!

      Delete
  10. Lucy, what beautiful results with your project! You caught my eye on Dwellings link party, and I just wanted you to know I love it all.
    Rita C at Panoply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, you are so sweet! Thanks for stopping by! :o)

      Delete
  11. Brilliant and gorgeous!! I can't wait to make some of these with my girls; they love to craft. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn. You are blessed to have daughters who like to craft with you! I hope you enjoy making them!

      Delete
  12. I love how you showed three different ways to create "sea glass". I once tried to use sea glass paint, and it didn't turn out anywhere near as great as yours. Plus, you created yours with stuff I already have laying around the house - I definitely need to try the tissue paper technique. I actually see a glass on my counter right that would work perfectly... Thanks for sharing with us at Dream. Create. Inspire. Link. Hope to see you back tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love how your projects turned out! What a great idea to use vinyl lettering vs etching the glass. Pinning this so I can try out your method, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning results Lucy. Love how these easy to do projects turned out and I appreciate you sharing them at Shabbilicious Friday. I'm delighted to be featuring this project at tomorrow's party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite is the food coloring! so pretty. Catching you this week!

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to try one of these techniques...love the look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are all so beautiful!! Thanks for sharing the details on all these techniques. My favorite part is the vinyl lettering, it adds such a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous25 July, 2015

    love these.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love them!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. So gorgeous....
    Sharing the love by featuring Links to this FABULOUS post over at Mia Bella Passions Create, Inspire, Love...http://miabellapassion.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/create-inspire-love-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh, I love how these turned out! I saw that same hand painted bottle and thought it was just gorgeous, and I love what you did with the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessi and ladies for stopping by and leaving such encouraging comments!

      Delete
  22. So many great ideas! I love sea glass but have yet to actually find any on my beach trips - now I can make my own! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Talented Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Morgansceramics28 July, 2015

    OMGosh! I am in love with the square decanter one!! Will definitely have to make a few. Tks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What beautiful ideas! I love sea glass & love the look you achieved. I am stopping on my way home to buy food coloring!! It looks just lovely. Thanks for sharing at Friday Favorites & we hope you will join us again! Michelle OurCraftyMom

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good morning! I just wanted to let you know that I will be featuring this great project at Friday Favorites which will be live Thursday evening. Thank you so much for sharing with us! Michelle OurCraftyMom

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are all beautiful! Thanks so much for linking up. I'm also going to feature you at Friday Favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you very much dear for this step by step tutorial for summer centerpieces. Those Faux Sea Glasses are out of this world. I would love to make them for my son’s birthday party. Could you suggest some recommendations for the inexpensive event space San Francisco?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I recently painted some furniture pieces, using latex flat paint, mixed with plaster of Paris and water. I had two bottles and poured the aqua paint inside them, drained and let them dry. I sprayed one with a frosted glaze, left the other one plain. I decorated the neck of each with a contrasting ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great tutorials. For some reason, I'm drawn to the "faux" one but the others are probably more fun to create! Visiting from Get Your DIY On.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love these, Lucy! I really want to try a couple of them!! XO

    ReplyDelete