Repurposed Cloth and Webbing Wreath

18 comments
Repurposed Cloth and Webbing Wreath
About a month ago some bloggers and I who love to thrift and repurpose junk, got together to discuss a monthly blog hop where we transform so called "junk" into something better. I love a good repurpose don't you! Come and check out what we each came up with and you may just be inspired! ...

This month we worked on "OUTDOOR PROJECTS". I decided to create a wreath. I just wasn't sure what I would use. And looking through my stash I saw this sad pillow that I had gotten at a garage sale for free. It was going to be thrown out so I decided to take it home with me because I liked the fabric and shearing detail on the front.

To recreate this look, here are a few things that you will need to have...
  • wreath base 
  • ruffled fabric
  • wooden letter
  • jute upholstery webbing
  • buttons
  • hot glue gun and hot glue

This is what I started with:  a circular wreath made with vines collected on a friend's property. You can use a wreath vine from the store or a repurpose an old one, or even use a pool noodle or styrofoam wreath shape since it will be mostly covered.
I cut the ruffle edging off the pillow in one piece and then cut the ruffle piece in half. Other ideas for getting the ruffled edging… you could sew the ruffle yourself if you have a sewing machine and know how to or find vintage curtains with ruffled bottoms. You could even use a ruffled ribbon.

Starting at a little below the middle on each side I wrapped it up and around the wreath, making sure to cover the unfinished seam from underneath, and hot glued the fabric onto the vines.

I used almost all of the pillow. The back was cut into strips and tied around the bottom half of the wreath shape. The front of the pillow was used to make rosettes by wrapping the strips of fabric around themselves.


For the jute webbing flower, I used a 20 inch long piece and cut narrow strips about half way through one side on the entire piece. Then I rolled it onto itself and hot glued the end. Flatten the top of it and moved the cut edges so that it looks like petals on a flower. I then added a vintage black button to the middle for interest. (I found the webbing at JoAnns on sale in the upholstery section)

I chose not to add a button to the centre of the other flowers, but instead added one in between the 2 simple fabric ones.

I probably could have stopped at this point but decided to add a wooden letter I had lying around. I painted it black, but still felt it needed something.

So to give it some instant aging, since you know I love PaTiNa, I went ahead and added the same bits of rust and silver paint that I had used to age my industrial nightstand which you can check here.

I found a really pretty vintage button in my stash which had leaves and some silver which really worked well with the painted letter and overall look.

I like the limited colour palette. If you prefer more colour, you could always add strips of different coloured fabric or buttons. Hope I have inspired you to reuse and rethink your junk. Stay tuned for next month's project which will be something to hang the wreath from… and next month's Junk ReVision when we share our "Organization" projects...

Blessings,
Lucy

Make sure to check out more great outdoor ideas by my fellow "Junk Visionaries"...


Partying at these locations...

Vintage Inspiration Party @ My Salvaged Treasures
Before and After Linkup @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Shabbilicous Fridays @ The Shabby Art Boutique
Inspiration Friday @ The Painted Drawer
A morning Cup of Joe @ The Cottage Market
Upcycled Link Party @ Funky Junk Interiors
Saturday Sparks @ Pieced Pastimes
Share it One More Time @ One More Time Events
Silver Pernnies Sundays @ Finding Silver Pennies
Amaze Me Mondays @ Dwellings
Inspire Me Monday @ Sand  and Sisal
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life
Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Your Turn to Shine @ Bless'er House
Think and Make Thursdays @ Little Red Brick House
Simple and Sweet Fridays @ Rooted In Thyme
Feathered Nest Fridays @ French Country Cottage
The Inspiration Gallery @ craft berry bush
Submarine Sunday @ USS Crafty


18 comments

  1. Love this wreath Lucy. So pretty and a great recycle. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea using an old pillow to create such a beautiful wreath and the Fabric flowers add the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute Cute Lucy! What a great way to save a pillow from the dumpster :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Lucy! You are so creative. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative and brilliant idea for making a wreath! I love how vintage it looks and to think it was made from recycled fabric. The letter and flowers add a fabulous touch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy,
    You are so talented. I can't wait to see what is next.
    Happy Creating,
    Karen Marie
    Dragonfly & Lily Pads

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a very clever and Inspirational idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing transformation!! Love it!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving, pinning, and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like what you did with the wreath. I am always tearing apart old project to make new. Why Not? It perfectly good materials that can go to use as something even greater, right? Thanks for inspiring me today. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! What a clever way to use up parts of the old pillow. My favorite part is the jute webbing flower. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy and everyone else!!! :o)

      Delete
  12. I love repurposes! This is so brilliant! Thanks for sharing it!! Now to pin and share also< i really love this!! (Visiting from a morning cup of joe)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How creative! I never would have thought to take the ruffles off a pillow!! Nice work, that is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous wreath! I love the ruffles and burlap flower!

    I'd love for you to stop by the Submarine Sunday Link Party to share this crafty creation! I hope to see you there!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ The Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love this. What a great repurpose! And it will look great for Fall! I'd love you to come over and link at my Fabulous Fall party. The party runs till Halloween. You can come any time and link any Fall themed post. Come on over and party. I'll visit the other links you have here. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this wreath, Lucy! Love using repurposed material :) Thanks so much for featuring at Your Turn To Shine.... featuring you tomorrow! Have a great rest of the week!
    Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com

    ReplyDelete