Faux Tufted Headboard

22 comments
Faux Tufted Headboard
It's time for Themed Furniture Makeover Day again. This months theme is "French".  I had this French style headboard that I had painted last year and didn't know what to do with. It needed something and I finally had the courage to give my idea a try.

So as you guessed by the title, I chose to mimic a tufted headboard. If I had some tools I would have attempted cutting out a board and upholstering it, but since I don't own a scroll saw as of yet, I  wondered if I could get a similar look with paint and glaze.

Enter this sad little headboard that I found at the thrift store and then bought at an antique mall (long story) lol. It was a little scratched up, but I loved the shape of it and the carved seashell! My original plan was to turn it into a chalkboard. But after painting it, I didn't have the heart to.

I used some leftover Blackberry House paint and then added some brown glaze to the trim. It was pretty but a little plain for my liking, and seemed the perfect candidate for some experimenting...
I distressed the edges to bring out the detail, especially in the carved shell. They just don't make furniture with this kind of detail anymore.

Getting out my Silhouette Designer Programme, I worked on a design that would look like tufting. And after several attempts to cut it out of shelf lining paper and vinyl without much success, I ended up simplifying the design and using a heavy weight scrapbook paper.

I used 4 sheets for the cutouts and then cut out some circles in vinyl since the "faux buttons" had no way of staying in place on the paper cutouts.

I mixed a tiny amount of grey acrylic paint with an equal amount of glaze. Using a makeup wedge sponge I dabbed the grey glaze onto the areas where the tufting design was going to be.
I was nervous to take the paper stencils off, but was pleasantly surprised to see how it had turned out. I could probably have gone in and added more shading, but I decided to leave it simple so that it wouldn't take away from the gorgeous frame.

If I ever do this on a headboard again, I think I might be bolder and use a red colour as the background. What colour would you do the headboard in?

Here it is looking very French with some toile. Wish I had a guest bedroom to style it in, but this makeshift bedroom in the master bath is going to have to do. ;o)

So what do you think? Are you ready to give glaze a try? Hope I have inspired you to give it a go.


Make sure to check out all of the other "FRENCH" themed furniture pieces that my friends linked below…

Blessings,
Lucy







Partying at these locations…

Get Your DIY On @ Confessions of a Serial DIYer
What's It Wednesdays @ Ivy &  Elephants
Before and After Linkup @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Swing into Spring @ DIY by Design
Talented Tuesdays @ Home Remedies
Dream Create Inspire @ Vintage Refined
From Dream to Reality @ The DIY dreamer
Swing into Spring @ DIY by Design
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Vintage Inspiration Party @ My Salvaged Treasures
Creative Spark @ Weekend Craft
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Share Your Style @ Common Ground
Feathered Nest Fridays @ French Country Cottage
Creativity Unleashed @ Practically Functional
Fridays Unfolded @ Nancherrow
Shabbilicous Fridays @ The Shabby Art Boutique
Inspiration Friday @ The Painted Drawer
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
A morning Cup of Joe @ The Cottage Market
Simple and Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme
DIY Inspired @ The Girl Creative
Anything Blue Friday @ The Dedicated House
Upcycled Link Party @ Funky Junk Interiors
Saturday Sparks @ Pieced Pastimes
Share it One More Time @ One More Time Events
Sundays at Home @ Thoughts From Alice
Something to Talk About @ Spain Hill Farm
Inspire Me Monday @ Sand  and Sisal
The Scoop @ Stone Gable
Creative Spark @ Two Purple Couches




22 comments

  1. What creative update! A fun and lasting way to add dimension... I ohh, la, la, love it, Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! Love the faux tufts-so creative!
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! Love the faux tufts-so creative!
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me fooled! Looks amazing! Those machines are so great. I need to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow are you creative or what? This is so clever and cute, Lucy!! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the coolest thing ever! I was so fooled!!! Wow!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a talented artist! You lost me at "Silhouette" lol. What a great job!
    kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously girl, how clever is this! Your headboard is stunning Lucy. I love everything about this makeover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, look for your stunning faux tufted headboard pinned to our DIY Sunday Showcase Talent Board this weekend. ☺

      Delete
  9. This is so smart... I had to take a second look!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trompe l'oeil!! To fool the eye! What a great job. I thought it was tufted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pardon my French, but "HOLY CRAP" that is awesome! LOL GENIUS!
    Hugs,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  12. very pretty, and such a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like the way your brain works! Your headboard is brilliant and beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an amazing transformation! That headboard is gorgeous! Thanks so much for linking up with us at Best of the Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Lucy, I love this project, so creative... definately pinning and sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucy, this project is super! Love your vison and how you pulled off the tufts:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lucy! Your headboard is amazing sweet! Well done! I would like to invite you to share your posts each week at my Making Broken Beautiful Party. it has already begun but there is still time to join in.. It goes every Thursday from 6:00pm (MST) till Saturday 6:00pm (MST). It is a furniture and home decor party. I hope you can join, you have great taste!

    Smiles!
    Terry
    http://thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh I think this is fabulous!!!! What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete