Coastal Side Table Painted With Putty Knife

13 comments
Coastal Side Table Painted With Putty Knife
I've had beach decor on my mind lately and so was glad that the theme for this month's "Themed Furniture Makeover" blog hop was "Coastal" I love everything about coastal furniture from the soft muted colors to the weathered finishes... I wanted to try something different and started with all of the leftover coastal colors in my stash... and tried to play around with them...
I keep hoping to find affordable dresser in the small town where we live but they are so hard to come by and sell for way too much money. I seem to run into these types of tables the most and since they are affordable, I snatch them up. They are like a blank canvas just waiting for a little paint to update them...

So as far as colors everything was fair game from leftover latex to craft paint to furniture paint as long as they fit the colors of water...

After sanding the top, I started with a dark blue and layered on different colors with various brushes and even just dripping the paint on in thick lines all in one direction. Then taking a plastic putty knife I smoothed it all down after each new color was added and while the paint was still wet making the top colors blend into the colors underneath them.

I was going for a layered and weathered look but ended up with more of a painted water scene. It reminded me of waves crashing on the beach.

I wanted the legs to be like deeper ocean water with just hints of light coming through and less busy than the top...

White or sand colored legs would have worked just as well as long as they allowed the top to be the star of the piece...

So what do you think? Does it remind you of the ocean? Now all it needs is to find the beach house where it belongs... ;o)

Blessings,
Lucy

Make sure to check out all of the amazing projects below to get more "Coastal" painted furniture inspiration from my fellow DIY Furniture Girls...






13 comments

  1. How clever to use a putty knife. You created such a unique finish on the top. It's like coastal meets farmhouse. Love the color combo, too. Well done, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great coastal makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your creative mind works, Lucy! Such a cool finish! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. This unique finish really does remind me of the ocean - very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A putty knife, huh! Very cool finish, Lucy. Perfect for a lake house or coastal home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you achieved the look on the top!
    So cool!
    Hugs,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty, Lucy! It definitely reminds me of the ocean. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The top does look like the ocean and your method of creating the look is unique. It does need a beach house for its next home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous23 June, 2016

    Absolutely love this. Looks like small waves and the dark blobs are like stones in the distance coming thru. Very artsy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucy,
    I love the blues along with the layering techniques on your coastal table. I have a lake house that would love this table in it. I am sure this pieces will be snatched up quickly.
    Happy Creating,
    Karen Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. The table does remind me of the ocean. It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is absolutely coastal! I always say that I'd love to furnish/decorate a beach house. Now we just have to buy one lol Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete