Cabinet Door Turned Personalized Gift

3 comments
Cabinet Door Turned Personalized Gift
Last year I acquired a collection of cabinet doors which I have been using for various projects. I have used them to make anything from custom signs for different people to Christmas and wedding gifts.
My husband commissioned me to make one for the choir director at our church to show his appreciation.


I  designed the artwork on my Silhouette Cameo Designer program after deciding to use one of the smaller cabinet doors for this project. The first phase was to create the design for the embellishment that you see behind the black lettering. For this, I placed a vinyl cutout of the area shown in pink below onto the cabinet door. The idea was to use the vinyl as a stencil that I could later easily peel away after painting before moving onto phase 2 (black lettering).





Since I had no idea what style of decor or colors they liked, I opted to go with something neutral and classic. I also wanted the background to be very subtle so as not compete with the name. I started by painting over the vinyl with some leftover acrylic craft paint in a cream color. I then painted a black border around the exterior of the door frame to so to give it some pop.



Here is a closeup of the cabinet door after I peeled off the vinyl. And as you can see, the wood grain is what was underneath. I felt that the contrast was too subtle, so I added some Valspar antiquing glaze to darken it and add some depth.



The next phase was to cut out the black vinyl for the lettering and transfer that to the cabinet door.



I am very pleased with the way it turned out. I made several others as gifts that were a little simpler, but I have to say this one is my favorite so far...

And here is a picture of it in the Agnews' home. I heard that the choir director's wife loved it and I had the opportunity to see for myself just where she had displayed it. It sits on a shelf in her kitchen.



I love the touches of aqua and red and it looks great against the tongue and groove!

What do you think?


I'm partying here…

You're Gonna Love It Tuesday @ Kathe with an E
Freedom Fridays @ Love Bakes Good Cakes
Follow my blog with Bloglovin


3 comments

  1. You did such a great job! This looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I'm all about home made gifts

    ReplyDelete