Rusty Wire Wrapped Bottle Pumpkins

10 comments
Rusty Wire Wrapped Bottle Pumpkins
I'm so excited to be participating in a new monthly blog hop called "Project Challenge". Each month our small group of bloggers will have to come up with an item that fits the theme. When I saw that this month's theme was "RUSTY", I felt right at home. Anything rusty, chippy or weathered makes my heart go pitter patter. So I challenged myself to come up with a unique project that fit the bill...


When I looked through my stash of assorted junk, I found a roll of rusty wire that I had bought at the thrift store and then I spotted my saved vinegar jars. I love their shape and thought they might make some interesting pumpkins. But then I had to figure out how to incorporate the rusty wire into the picture.





Steps to Making the Pumpkin
1. Use a bottle with a neck to allow for the wrapping of the wire.  2.  Cut a piece of wire about one foot long or longer to begin. Place the midpoint of  your piece of wire about halfway under the bottle. Create a rounded shape and twist wire around neck. Do the same on the opposite side.  3.   Repeat the same thing three times until you have 6 loops around the glass jar.   4.  You will probably have some excess wire which will be used to make the curled vines.  5.  Use a pencil or something similar ( I used a long nail) to wrap the wire around.  6.  Remove pencil, etc. and position your vine wherever you want it.  7.  Even out the wire so that the bottle sits as flat as possible. Add a leaf of your choice to finish off your funky pumpkin if you like. Your first one, may not be easy to shape, but it gets easier, the more you make. ;o)

***Please note that the rust from the wire will get on your hands so be careful not to get them onto your clothing or any other cloth item so as to prevent staining.*** (Note: Gloves might come in handy for bending the wire and preventing the rust from getting on your hands.)


I ended up finding some metal leaves in my stash that suited them nicely, but you could use whatever you have on hand. I'm sure even burlap leaves would look great. I love how sculptural they are and the contrast between the aqua glass and the rusty wire is just poetry to this patina lover!

I used a light coloured cupboard door tray as a backdrop for the pumpkins and for my Fall Vignette so that everything would stand out nicely against it.

And I gathered together all of the Autumn inspired accessories that I had to try and put them together in a nice arrangement along with the pumpkins. The container holding the flower arrangement is a rusted tool box that I found on the side of the road along with the wooden piece behind it that is in my favourite colour, sea foam green.

I added a few more accessories… until I was happy with the result…  I am not known for being a minimalist! ;o) The silk flowers were in my stash from the dollar store from a couple of years ago when I decorated for a friend's wedding. You can see what I did for it HERE.

I love how the wreath looks together with the vignette sitting on one of my very first blog projects. The wreath was a repurpose from another challenge. You can see what I made the wreath out of HERE.

I think the pumpkins look great with my other bottles and I love how cheerful the vignette is. It really makes me smile when I walk in the door. What do you think? A little too shabby for you? A little too much going on? Or just right?

For more inspiration, make sure to check out what my creative blogging friends have come up with for this month's "RUSTY" challenge...

Blessings,
Lucy.



Partying at these locations…

Silver Pernnies Sundays @ Finding Silver Pennies
Something to Talk About @ Spain Hill Farm
Vintage Inspiration Party @ My Salvaged Treasures
Amaze Me Mondays @ Dwellings
What's It Wednesdays @ Ivy & Elephants
Before and After Linkup @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Swing into Spring @ DIY by Design
Talented Tuesdays @ Home Remedies
Dream Create Inspire @ Vintage Refined
From Dream to Reality @ The DIY dreamer
Swing into Spring @ DIY by Design
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Creative Spark @ Weekend Craft
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Share Your Style @ Common Ground
Feathered Nest Fridays @ French Country Cottage
Creativity Unleashed @ Practically Functional
Fridays Unfolded @ Nancherrow
Shabbilicous Fridays @ The Shabby Art Boutique
Inspiration Friday @ The Painted Drawer
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
A morning Cup of Joe @ The Cottage Market
Simple and Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme
DIY Inspired @ The Girl Creative
Anything Blue Friday @ The Dedicated House
Upcycled Link Party @ Funky Junk Interiors
Saturday Sparks @ Pieced Pastimes
Share it One More Time @ One More Time Events
Sundays at Home @ Thoughts From Alice
Inspiration Monday @ Redhead Can Decorate
Inspire Me Monday @ Sand  and Sisal
The Scoop @ Stone Gable
Creative Spark @ Two Purple Couches





10 comments

  1. Hi Lucy, it's been super fun to see what all of you ladies have come up with. Everybody brings their own style to the table!!!! Your pumpkins are super creative and the way you displayed them on the tray along with all the other awesome junk (lol) is genious!!!! XOXOXO Christine from Little Brags

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO creative Lucy! You have the wheels in my head spinning now...thank you for joining us!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool - Love the texture and unique interest they bring to your decor! Well done my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a very clever and creative idea! I never would have come up with this! Your pumpkins are just so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative idea! You are good at rising to the challenge, that's for sure:) I have to say I've seen pumpkins made out of a lot of things, but this idea is truly one of the most original. Love the vignette!
    xokathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous arrangement! Love that sea foam green and the matching "pumpkins."

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute... and clever! I would have never thought of that!!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea! What a fun way to transform plain bottles. Thanks for sharing with us at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea - so nice to see something different done with a bottle!
    Ann
    http://theapplestreetcottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love rusty wire as well. Your pumpkins are so creative and I love them! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete