Upcycled Wooden Spool Table With Graphics

30 comments
Upcycled Wooden Spool Table With Graphics
It's time for this month's "Themed Furniture Makeover" blog hop and the theme is "Outdoors". Since it's summer my brain is still on coastal mode so to combine the two ideas I upcycled one of the electrical spools I had gotten for free from the local hardware store into a patio table.  Some vintage  coastal graphics inspiration and some "Black Dog Salvage" furniture paint help finish the job. I'm calling this project "Industrial meets Coastal".

The spool was in good shape and needed nothing more than a cleaning and sanding to prep it. I made sure to sand all of the edges to get any possible splinters under control. Since I love all things coastal, vintage and typography related I searched on Pinterest for inspiration... for a circular logo on a metal sign to go on top...


When I spotted THIS gorgeous one in aqua with West Coast in the name, I knew that it was the perfect candidate  for the project. Not that I spent endless hours going back and forth about all of the other wonderful ones that I might have used ;o). I think I have a library of at least of 10 other possible future spool top table graphics to choose from and one other spool in the garage waiting for a makeover.
I cut out a one time series of "stencils" from my Silhouette machine out of shelf lining paper. Since the table is about 2 feet wide, I had to cut three stencils separately to have them fit onto 12 inch wide cutting mat. I used a makeup sponge to dab on the paint...

What paint could be more appropriate for a salvaged electrical spool table than "Black Dog Salvage" Furniture Paint.  (I love the show by the way don't you!) I was very excited to give the paint a try.  (*I was compensated with paint to use for this project but all opinions are honest and my own) I was given a sample set with 6 different colors and a sealer. (and a very cool painting apron with their logo). I used three of those to get the aqua shade I was going for. I also used their "Dog Bone" white which is more of a taupe and their black which is called "Black Dog".

The paint requires no sanding beforehand and is super thick.  I was impressed with how there was complete coverage in just one coat. (I probably could have watered it down a little at the beginning as they suggested but eventually caught on). It left no brush strokes except for where I wanted them to be seen like here... I layered on the white and aqua to the base of the table using a dry brush technique...

and love how it accentuated the texture on the wood. This paint is perfect for drybrushing! And I love the matte practically flat finish it leaves. It also distresses really well... what can I say I can't wait to paint something else with it!

The color combo reminds me of the verdigris patina finish that I love so much.

At first the holes on top bothered me, but I love that the middle one allows for a bowl to fit nicely in it for holding snacks. Hope you get a chance to enjoy the great outdoors this summer. I'm just hibernating from the heat until the temperatures get back to bearable... aw the joys of living in the South! ;o) (can't complain when it comes to winter though!).

So what do you think of my "Industrial meets Coastal" patio table? Hope I have inspired you to get creative with your furniture makeovers...

Blessings,
Lucy

Make sure to check out all of the amazing projects below to get more "Outdoors" furniture inspiration from my fellow DIY Furniture Girls...




Partying at these locations...

























 
MONDAYS
Inspire Me Monday @ Sand  and Sisal
The Scoop @ Stone Gable 
Project Inspire @ Cupcakes and Crinoline
Brag About It Link Party @ My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies

TUESDAYS
SITS Sharefest @ The SITS Girls
Moonlight and Mason Jars @ Cherished Bliss
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Talk of the Town @ My Repurposed Life
Dream Create Inspire @ Refresh Living
Swing into Spring @ DIY by Design
Moonlight and Mason Jars @ Maison de Pax

WEDNESDAYS
Homemade and Handcrafted @ Redo It Yourself
Creative Spark @ Two Purple Couches
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Work it Wednesdays @ The Happy Housie
Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Share Your Style @ The Vintage Nest

THURSDAYS
The DIY Collective @ Average But Inspired
The Creative Circle @ Up to Date Interiors
Vintage Charm @ Charm Bracelet Diva
Shabbilicous Fridays @ The Shabby Art Boutique
Feathered Nest Fridays @ French Country Cottage
Simple and Sweet Fridays @ Rooted In Thyme
The Inspiration Gallery @ craftberry bush
Creativity Unleashed @ Practically Functional
Inspiration Friday @ The Painted Drawer Collection
FRIDAYS
A morning Cup of Joe @ The Cottage Market
Upcycled Link Party @ Funky Junk Interiors
Best of the Weekend @ Sweet Pea

SATURDAYS
Saturday Sparks @ Pieced Pastimes
Share it One More Time @ One More Time Events
DIY Sunday Showcase @ The Interior Frugalista
Sundays at Home @ Love of Home

SUNDAYS
Silver Pennies Sundays @ Finding Silver Pennies
Inspired By You @ Reinvented
Inspiration Monday @ What Meegan Makes
Dishing It and Digging ItDIY 180
Amaze Me Mondays @ Dwellings
Get Your DIY On @ Confessions of a Serial DIYer







30 comments

  1. This looks awesome!! I love the stencil design that you made and wish that I could actually operate my Silhouette and not just look at it sitting there patiently waiting to be used. Black Dog Salvage is only an hour from my house and my great-great grandfather built and lived in the stone house next to the shop where it is filmed. He was an Italian stonemason and wasn't allowed to live in the city of Roanoke. At the time his house location was outside of the city limits. I want to try their paint but I don't think that anyone in my town carries it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula you should definitely learn how to use your Silhouette. I can't tell you how much I love it. Granted I have spent countless hours learning how to use it the way that I want it to work for me, but it is definitely a time saver. What a neat fact about your great-great grandfather. I can't believe that he wouldn't be allowed to live in the city.

      Delete
  2. That graphic is da bomb! I'm all about vintage adverts and typography and I love what you did with it, Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larissa and I love your projects with vintage adverts and typography just as much!

      Delete
  3. This graphic and paintbjob is awesome lucy!!!! You always do amazing work. Im inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, my hope is always to inspire. ;o)

      Delete
  4. Holy cow! That turned out awesome and that stencil ROCKS! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had me chuckling Karin. I think the world needs more stencils that ROCK!

      Delete
  5. Another fabulous coastal makeover, Lucy! LOVE everything about this spool table, including the distressed look of the graphic. You rocked it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, I love what you did for this month's challenge also!

      Delete
  6. WOW! The graphic you chose is amazing! I LOVE this makeover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay, it took me long enough to find it and decide to use it but I am so glad that I did.

      Delete
  7. I was being so good, visiting each project in order of the linky, but I just had to skip down to yours...I love this!! You are so talented! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Christy for saying that! xo ;o)

      Delete
  8. Super idea and love the graphic! I'm always impressed with your creative makeovers! XO-Wendi@H2OBungalow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous22 July, 2016

    Woodcraft Supply in Roanoke carries the Black Dog Salvage Furniture Paint; all 15 colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely amazing, Lucy! I love everything about this table, from the graphic to your layered paint treatment on the base! Love love love!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucy, this is a very cool project! The spool itself is unique and the graphics and colors together all create a one of a kind piece of art for your patio. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, such a creative project. Loving the color and graphics. So perfect for the patio. Thank you for sharing your creative project at DI&DI.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love how this turned out AND the graphic you used! Blessings, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the graphic! This is one of the best spool makeovers I have seen. Pinning to share. Thanks so much for linking up your posts with us this week at Brag About It!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fabulous, Lucy! The colors, the graphic, everything! Makes me want to head on out to the patio for a drink! (It is Friday, right?) Loved it so much I chose it for a Feature today at Vintage Charm Party #41! Thanks for sharing it with us! xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, your spool makeover is one of the best transformations I've seen. I love the beachy coastal vibe. Lately, I'm changing up everything with a nautical look. I pinned this project and can't wait to get my hands on one of these industrial spools.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is adorable . . . Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this is fabulous! We have a few of those spools hanging around and I just thought they were ugly and told my husband to get rid of them! I didn't know they could be so great looking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awe Lucy girl, I adore this project the aqua, the graphic, the repurpose, what's not to love? Very cool!

    ReplyDelete