Five Layer Side Table

11 comments
Five Layer Side Table
It's been a while since I have blogged and I am happy to be able to join my fellow bloggers for our monthly "Themed Furniture Makeover" blog hop.  The theme this time around is "Layers", and is brought to you via $6 worth of repurposed items layered to create a one of a kind side table...


The first layer and base of the table is a wooden column found at a garage sale for $5 a few summers ago. The octagonal tray was $1 from the thrift store and becomes the second layer. The octagonal clock was a roadside rescue, layer three . The pieces of ephemera (layer four) used under the round glass top (layer five) were from a scrapbooking kit found at "Tuesday Morning".

I wrapped the tray with the metallic tape in order to cover the handle holes in the tray, (but if I were to do it over, I may skip this step). Then some thumb tacks were added for interest. I gave the piece a faux rusted metallic look beginning with a base coat of "Modern Masters" copper primer and then other rusty hues of chalk paint were applied on top using a sea sponge.

The paint used on the base and on the top was OFMP in "Snow White". I love that OFMP can be mixed up as needed,  that it is VOC free and all natural. I will definitely be using the rest in the near future and may try to mix my own colors with the leftovers from previous furniture projects.
(*I was compensated with paint to use for this project but all opinions are honest and my own)

The paint unified the top with the base and I love the contrast of the white with the faux rusted metal.

The round glass was given to me and was the original top for a cheap 3 legged mdf table. I think it looks much better on the top of the octagonal clock face turned display table top...

I also love that the former clock face has a raised edge that allows for paper and other thin items to be displayed on it under the glass. It could be changed out seasonally and think that is what I will do with it...

I chose this piece of ephemera as the center and focal point since I live in Alabama and love the punch of red.

I hope I have inspired you... to think outside the box when it comes to creating a side table; A picture frame, a tray, or a clock face are all great candidates for table tops and for bases look around at what you may already have. Creating a unique and useful piece of furniture doesn't have to cost a lot of money! ;o)

Blessings,
Lucy

Make sure to check out all of the amazing projects below to get more "Layers" furniture inspiration from my fellow DIY Furniture Girls...







11 comments

  1. This is genius!!! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really COOL! Love all of it~
    Hugs,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well aren't you clever, Lucy! This is so cool and outside of the box - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have thought to put those pieces together, Lucy! You are so clever!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table is so creative! I wouldn't have had the vision to pull it all together. Loving the shape of the clock for your base! Pinned! XO-Wendi@H2OBungalow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool project! I wouldn't have thought to put them all together and they really work. Love the vintage items that you have on display.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so amazing....you should be an engineer....and work for IKEA. Seriously....it takes vision to see all of these pieces and layer them together to make a side table. Clever to the max. Love it! Susie from Chelsea Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, now I now who to turn to if I am feeling down!;o) Actually I like to think of myself as an engineer/reinventer of junk

      Delete
  8. Thank you ladies for all of your kind words! They are much appreciated and always encouraging! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucy,
    You are a creative gal with talent to last for years to come. I love your outside the box piece for this make over.
    Karen Maire

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really cool Lucy, totally love the way you've combined everything to make something so extremely unique.

    ReplyDelete