Two Thanksgiving Mantel Styles from Flea Market Finds

9 comments
Two Thanksgiving Mantel Styles from Flea Market Finds
I have never been one to follow the crowd… and that goes for my decorating style as well. I am the type who likes to have out of the ordinary and one-of-a-kind things when it comes to putting vignettes together throughout the house for the changing seasons and holidays.

The best way to achieve this is by acquiring things that you find over time at flea markets and garage sales and or embellishing and making them yourself.

This year, in spite of my ugly mantel wall, I decided that I was going to make it pretty with things from my stash.

So this is the ugly fireplace mantel wall that I had to begin with and you will never guess what I used to get an immediate makeover in less than 5 minutes… I'll let you know at the end.




Farmhouse Style Mantel


There were a lot of things in my stash that I could have chosen from, but I tried to stick to a more neutral palette. Normally I tend to gravitate towards symmetry in design, but since I didn't have duplicates of anything, I had to go with an asymmetric design scheme which is a bit of a challenge to balance. I tried to have one large focal point and work from there trying to vary the heights, tones and textures.

Here's what the final vignette looks like. I like the farmhouse style that came together...



The wreath was one that I had repurposed with a leaf swag, a sign that I designed and a little tin star ornament. The star is an ode to my Texan hubby.



The pumpkin was a dollar store orange styrofoam pumpkin that I covered with strips of old book pages. The feathers were given to me by a friend, which were given to her by a wild tom turkey who visits her property whenever he gets hungry. The bottles and accessories were objects collected over the years at flea markets, thrift stores and garage sales. I never pay more than a couple of dollars for anything.



I had so much fun putting together this farm style mantel that I wondered if I couldn't just switch around a few of the accessories and do a shabby chic style vignette...


Shabby Chic Mantel




The quotation in the frame was one I saw on Facebook somewhere and decided to design and print out onto burlap. I used an old cheap gold plastic picture frame for it and with the help of a little paint and antiquing glaze I remade it into a shabby chic worthy piece.



I chose a leaf graphic from the Graphics Fairy to add some interest to the quote.



The artificial daisies were leftover from another project I did when I decorated the reception area for a friend's Fall Wedding. You can see the post for that here.



I added a rusted bottle lid to the top of the pumpkin along with some faux greenery.



This piece of rusted metal is one of my favorite finds. I paid $3 for it at a local 5 mile long yard sale. I used a small shelf that I had painted and distressed and turned it upside down to add the height I wanted for the rusty metal piece.

The large acorn looking thingamajig was a broken Christmas ornament that I added a half of a walnut husk to. This time I did use hot glue.



The bottle on the right was decoupaged with a real oak leaf and an acorn top to add interest. I used Mod Podge to attach them.

I also enjoyed decorating the taller bottle on the left. Since I didn't want it to be a permanent change, I used a silicone ear plug instead of hot glue to keep it together. That way I can adapt it to the changing seasons and holidays.



I started off with a nicely shaped but rather plain bottle. The lace doily was unraveling a little on one end, so I decided to fold it in two and drape it around the bottle, that way it would not be as noticeable. The silicone earplug worked pretty well at holding everything into place including the acorn pin. I did not have a top for the bottle, so I looked in my stash and found the lid of a silver salt shaker that fit perfectly over the top. The tassel was simply tied around the mouth of the bottle. I love how delicate the crochet looks on top of the clear glass bottle.



Here is a close-up of another favorite thrifting find...a vintage fruit basket bookend. I LOVE the subtle colors and the bright shot of red from the pomegranate. It has such a beautiful patina! You can see that it works well in both the Farmhouse and the Shabby Chic style mantelscapes.

The urn pictured below is actually a white marble lamp base I bought at an old garage sale.  I think it works perfectly with the shabby chic feel I was going after.





So what do you think? Which one is your favorite? Oh and have you figured out what that nice patterned white swirl background is used to cover the back wall? I'm not sure of it's original purpose exactly, but it's long piece of fabric that I think was used as a table runner. Now how is that for a repurpose!

Till next time...stay creative!


Linking up here…


Project Inspired @ Cupcakes and Crinoline
Outside the Box @ Carissa Miss
Work it Wednesdays @ The Happy Housie
Inspire Me @ Liz Marie Blog
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Shabbilicious Friday @ Shabby Art Boutique
Catch As Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life
Nest of the Weekend @ A Little Claireification
Link Party Palooza @ I heart nap time
Sunday Showcase @ Pink When
Share it Sunday @ Sondra Lyn At Home
THE SCOOP @ Confessions of a Plate Addict
Moonlight & Mason Jars Link Party @ Cherished Bliss
Awesome Things Tuesday @ Frenchie
You're Gonna Love It @ The Kim Six Fix
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch To Yours
Weekend Retreat @ AKA Design
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Mrs. Olson
Knick of Time Vintage inspiration Party
The Style Sisters
From Dreams to Reality
Moonlight & Mason Jars Link Party
Inspiration Exchange Link Party
Wow Us Wednesdays
inspire or be inspired
The Cottage Market
The Golden Sycamore Inspiration Gallery
Whimsy Wednesday
Tatertots & Jello


9 comments

  1. It's hard to pick a favorite because I love all the elements from each mantel vignette. You did a really good job arranging all your treasures. Thanks so much for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are absolutely beautiful. Just found your blog. New follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your arrangements are so I inspiring. The details are amazing! Thank you for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lucy,
    I tried to e-mail but was declined. It was a blessing to have you visit. I'm so glad that you were encouraged! That quote has been a great help to me. I hope you post your ornament project. Your work is lovely! Thank you for your sweet comments and for following. I followed back!

    Blessings,
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, Thank you for the words of encouragement! And for following on Google +.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lucy, I'm smiling because I see that we love a lot of the same things. I covered a faux pumpkin with book pages last year and I have a rusty piece of metal almost identical to yours. I also love using bit of architectural pieces. Both of your mantels are beautiful. I love certain elements in each. Although, I am leaning slightly towards the farmhouse one. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup. Happy to be a new follower.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lucy, just hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring you at Share Your Cup this week. Loved all of your links and had a hard time choosing!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete