Flea Market Find Turned Stylish Planter

8 comments
Flea Market Find Turned Stylish Planter
I have been itching to try my hand at image transfers and being restricted by funds I was obligated to use what I already had and I happened to have some Mod Podge on hand. So I did some research on Pinterest trying to learn as much as I could beforehand but of course, until you do it yourself, you really don't know the best way to do it.

This homemade planter was a flea market purchase from a while back, but it was large and sturdy and only $5! Can't go wrong...



So I started off with this image from the Graphics Fairy.

Because I wanted it to be just a little different I used mainly the bee from the image. I used my Silhouette Cameo Designer program to design it. Have I told you how much I love my Silhouette!?





I then printed out the design onto a white piece of copy paper in reverse since there was text in it. I applied Mod Podge to the printed side of the paper and immediately applied it to the painted planter box.



Next, I pressed it on with a roller to make sure it was well adhered. I tried to exercise my patience and did not touch it until the next day. Harder than you think! But I did well. So the next day I attempted to peel off the paper with a damp soft sponge trying to be careful not to wipe away the image that was left. There were a few spots where it would not budge and had actually peeled off some of the paint. To fix this, I went back and touched up the spots with some paint because they were too distracting to the overall look that I was going for.

Finally, I went over the entire design on both sides with a pencil to make it a little more pronounced being careful not to make it too harsh or dark. To finish the project and protect it from smudging, I coated it with a few layers of Masters Dead Flat Varnish which I had left over from my mural painting days.

One thing I would do different NOW is that I would cut away as much of the paper around the image as I could. That way I would probably would not have had the paint come off in as many spots where the excess Mod Podge had collected.





Once completed, I decided I needed to find the perfect place to photograph it. My friend's 100 year old farmhouse was the perfect place for a photoshoot.



My friend's cat really liked the smell of the eucalyptus preserved real autumn leaves that I got at the thrift store last year. Hopefully,  I've inspired you to get your craft on and try some image transferring! Feel free to email me questions if you have them and I will try to answer them as best I can.



Happy Fall Y'all!

Linking up to these parties…

Get Your DIY On @ Confessions of a Serial DIYer
Knick of Time Vintage Inspiration Party
Link it or Lump it Party
Outside the Box
Three Mango Seeds
Amaze Me Mondays
Inspire Me Monday
Think and Make Thursday Party
BE. YOU.TIFUL Link up Party
Weekend Retreat Party at AKA Design
Decor Adventures
Salvage Style Link Party
Share it One More Time

8 comments

  1. I have yet to transfer images, mostly because had no idea simple it was. We practically own stock in Mod Podge so we pretty much have everything on hand!! Your planter turned out so lovely, the black and white totally sold me! Off to go pin! Thanks, again, for linking up to Outside [the Box].

    Pinning to reference over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this looks. Never knew how easy it could be to make a transfer.Thanks for sharing that information. Did you leave it on your friend's porch?? It did love wonderful there with the red leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds easy enough! Will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so simple to do and turned out wonderful! Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm wondering how it is that the ink from your printer didn't come off when you wet the paper. Is the Modpodge the key to making the ink permanent? So interesting - I've never seen this technique before. Your project turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found you - was visiting Stonegable......will be back often!
    I just love this project!going to give it a try this weekend!

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should have figured this out myself. I Modge Podged some pictures from a book on a table, then changed my mind and tried to get it off. The paper came off, but the letters stayed - but they were backwards! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great piece - love the image transfer method you used. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

    ReplyDelete