Farragoz St. Michael Icon

1 comment
Farragoz St. Michael  Icon
It's been a while since my last post. Lots of things have happened since then…where to start? Well I will rewind to before Christmas and tell you that I received the most wonderful Christmas present from Divine Providence!

An online Farragoz painting class. It was so much fun!

I have been working on the first Module in my spare time over the last couple of months and am finally ready to do a post on it.

Painting old looking finishes is something I love. I had taken a faux finishing class with Ritins Studio's Lori Le Mar called Old World Finishes...that was many moons ago and we used Modern Masters products and acrylic paints.

With Farragoz I am being given the opportunity to use centuries old recipes for paints and gesso that I can make myself. Now I feel like I can really say that I am taking a class in old world finishes!

I really enjoy the process until it reaches the distressing part...which you wouldn't think was at all intimidating unless you knew how much I love the distressed look. I got cold feet when I got to that step and couldn't bring myself to do it. Tania, the instructor was very patient with me and encouraged me throughout the process. I am glad I finally listened to her and am thrilled with the results.

This is the original icon that was to be used as reference.




This collage gives you an idea of some of the steps involved…



I began with some cupboard door inserts. My intent was to make three icons at the same time, but I ended up with two icons that I was happy with.



Here is the larger icon… the colors in the photo below are a little more faded than in reality...



I was given some creative license and encouraged to add my own stamp to it, so I decided to carve an indentation as a border and paint it gold to make it more regal and unique.

Here are some closeups...




I love all the hairline cracks that were a result of alternating milk paint and oil paint...



Here you can see the indented border...



I also added some gold paint to the wings. So what do you think? Are you inspired to paint an icon?



I can't wait to start the next Module of the course. It is going to be a clock face. I'll post some pictures when I am a little further ahead… until then happy creating!


Sharing at these parties...


Power of Paint
Coastal Charm
The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style
Tweak it Tuesday
Knick of Time Tuesday
DIY By Design
My Repurposed Life
Redoux Interiors
Feathered Nest Friday
Jennifer Rizzo
The Creative Collection Link Party
Amaze Me Mondays

1 comment

  1. I am also taking this class. You did a great job. I have not yet started mine. still getting supplies.

    ReplyDelete