Desk with Geometric Design

13 comments
Desk with Geometric Design
It's time for another Fab Furniture Flippin' Contest. I love to challenge myself and this month was no exception… The theme for September is "GEOMETRIC" and I can't wait to show you what I came up with...



This month's sponsor is General Finishes makers of all kinds of wonderful products for transforming furniture: milk paint, stains, glazes, pearl effects and top coats. (*Disclaimer:  I received product from them for use in this challenge, but all opinions are my own)

After hearing so many wonderful reviews about their gel stain, I decided to give it a try. And to be different, I didn't go with the Java Gel, I went with their new GRAY GEL STAIN.

This is the piece that I thought had the most potential for working with the theme since it had simple lines and an almost art deco look. I had found it at the thrift store more than a year ago and it had been sitting in my studio serving as storage while the shelves were gathering dust in the garage.

The white paint was what had initially attracted me to the piece along with the green knobs. Now I understand why painted furniture doesn't sell at the thrift stores… cause it is usually a challenge to remove. And this piece was no exception.

In the end all of the work was well worth it as the piece is solid wood, no laminate, hence my reasoning for wanting to use the gel stain to showcase the grain. I'm still not sure what kind of wood it is made of, but under all of the white paint was a blonde beauty and she was a heavy beast!

I used the grey stain on the shell and underside of the desk and it sure made it easy to get into the nooks and crannies without having to be meticulous and as careful as if I had used paint. So it saved me a lot of time for sure!  I used a nylon brush to apply it and another brush to remove the excess.I was envisioning a weathered wood kind of look, but the gel stain went on quite opaque with just one coat. Since it was something I was not about to change, I had to go with the flow and change my vision and direction.

Hours were spent on Pinterest gathering all of the geometric inspiration I could find. I wanted a design that had circles.

My Silhouette Designer Program proved to be my life saver and sanctifier simultaneously. I was able to work on a design that I liked and resize it to custom fit the measurements of the drawer fronts. But the cutting of the vinyl as a stencil had me going crazy as each time I sent it to cut, one or more of the pieces of the design inevitably was not included in the cutting. It was almost enough to send me over the edge… if you know what I mean! ;o) But I did not give up!

The design above is what I finally decided on, but I tried so many colour variations and the endless possibilities really had me at a stand still and not being able to move forward on this piece as quickly as I had hoped! I wanted it to be just right.

I tried white paint, white paint with silver, with aqua, with yellow, with black… and was not happy that the grain was covered up by the paint. Then as I saw how the silver craft paint was acting like a glaze and going on semi-transparent, I tried it on a sample board of plain wood and I LOVED IT! I am so glad that I tried several sample boards to test the colours before I worked on the desk. This is one of the final designs which helped me to decide what to do with the rest of the desk. I had finally made a commitment on the colour for the drawer fronts… now to decide exactly which parts were going to be silver and which parts were going to be white…  but seriously am I the only one with the dilemma of "endless possibilities"? lol

The oval knobs are from Hobby Lobby and the smaller silver ones I had on hand and thought they were simple enough to not detract from the design.

I still have to put a top coat on the whole piece but want to let the paint cure a little longer before I tackle it again. And I need a break. ;o) Of course I had to put my stamp of patina on it by adding this little faux enamel tag that I made. I think it adds a nice informal touch to the piece.

I just love that the silver paint is semi-opaque and allows for the wood grain to subtly show through. I didn't dare distress it and I am now a metallic paint convert! ;o)

I am so pleased with the way it turned out! The silver and the bluish gray of the gel stain are a match made in heaven in my opinion…  It is definitely a departure from my usual, but I just love it!

Just so you can see the difference… here is the before and after…
Let me know what you think of my geometric entry.

Hope I have inspired you to get creative with your furniture flips!

To see all of the entries in the Fab Furniture Flippin' Contest head on over to Thirty Eighth street or On Fern Avenue.

If you are a blogger who paints furniture and would like to take part in the Fab Furniture Flippin' Contest you can contact Stacy from Anastasia Vintage at info@anastasiavintage.com or Evey fromEvey's Creations at info@eveyscreations.com.

Blessings,
Lucy

Partying at these locations…

Get Your DIY On @ Confessions of a Serial DIYer
What's It Wednesdays @ Ivy & Elephants
Before and After Linkup @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Swing into Spring @ DIY by Design
Talented Tuesdays @ Home Remedies
Dream Create Inspire @ Vintage Refined
From Dream to Reality @ The DIY dreamer
Swing into Spring @ DIY by Design
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Vintage Inspiration Party @ My Salvaged Treasures
Creative Spark @ Weekend Craft
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Share Your Style @ Common Ground
Feathered Nest Fridays @ French Country Cottage
Creativity Unleashed @ Practically Functional
Fridays Unfolded @ Nancherrow
Shabbilicous Fridays @ The Shabby Art Boutique
Inspiration Friday @ The Painted Drawer
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
A morning Cup of Joe @ The Cottage Market
Simple and Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme
DIY Inspired @ The Girl Creative
Anything Blue Friday @ The Dedicated House
Upcycled Link Party @ Funky Junk Interiors
Saturday Sparks @ Pieced Pastimes
Share it One More Time @ One More Time Events
Sundays at Home @ Love of Home
Something to Talk About @ Spain Hill Farm
Inspire Me Monday @ Sand  and Sisal
The Scoop @ Stone Gable
Creative Spark @ Two Purple Couches




13 comments

  1. I love the circle pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great pairing of color choices Lucy, that silver wash is divine almost the same hue as Modern Masters warm silver. love the hardware and the little tag adds a perfect touch! Haven't tried my Silhouette for a stencil yet, but I bet the adhesive backing really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Lucy this desk is stunning!!! Your persistence paid off. Love those glass knobs too. Pinning to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Lucy, just wanted to let you know that your gorgeous dresser will be pinned to our DIY Sunday Showcase Talent Board this weekend.

      Delete
  4. Really nice job! That was ALOT of work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love how the gray gel stain turned out, and the geometric pattern just takes it to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wow! You did a stunning job on this desk! Your time and effort really shows. Well Done! This is a lovely one of a kind piece now!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  7. This transformation is unreal! I can't believe you what you were able to do! You're killing it with that geometric pattern.

    I'm hosting a link party on my blog and we'd love for you to come by and link up with us! http://winsteadwandering.com/the-alder-collective-link-party-no-1/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really sweet. What a transformation!! Hard work pays off all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning transformation! I love the pattern you chose, and the number tag on the center drawer is just perfect! Thanks so much, as always, for linking up with us at The Creative Circle! We always love seeing what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. <3 this beautiful desk! Simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete