French Provincial Coffee & Side Tables With White Wax

20 comments
French Provincial Coffee & Side Tables With White Wax
It's time to join my fellow bloggers for our monthly "Themed Furniture Makeover" blog hop.  The theme this time around is "Glitz and Glamour". Today I am sharing with you my first commissioned furniture pieces in one of my favourite styles, French Provincial... 


A friend's sister inherited this set of tables from her mother-in-law. They were a little scuffed up after decades of wear, but still in good shape. She wanted to give them a new brighter look. Their new look had to go with her sofa and carpet.

I began by sanding down the flat surfaces since they had the most damage.

She supplied me with some furniture paint from a craft store in a pale blue. It was my first time using this brand of paint and I honestly can say it is my last time. When I paint a piece I usually go over sections back and forth to remove the excess on the edges that might cause drips. With this particular paint when you went back over an area that you had already painted, you were left with a fuzzy grainy finish! Yuck! And after two coats you could still see the wood color beneath. So I looked through my stash of paint and found a quart of "Mia Colore" paint by "Pure and Original" that I had won in a blog giveaway. The color is called "Fountain Spray" and it was almost identical to the original one my client had given me. With a quality furniture paint, the brush strokes disappear and level out and using a brush is therapeutic instead of a chore! In the end it was so much easier to work with and it left a wonderfully smooth finish! Yay! ;o)

Now to figure out what to do with the gouged detail on the table tops. They had me baffled since I felt these dark lines stuck out too much for my taste now that the tables were lighter. I also wanted to highlight all of the gorgeous curved details on the edges and legs and figured white wax would brighten them up!

So much better and more elegant don't you think? The white wax really accentuated all of beautiful details in the nooks and crannies of the tables. This was my first time using white wax, but I will definitely be using it again on future pieces!

I love the quatrefoil detail on the side tables!

The client wanted the hardware left in it's original state.  Now that the tables are a light blue I think the hardware looks great with it's original patina!

And just so you can see the change in the before and after here they are next to each other. Can you spot the differences in the two photos! hint: (the screws for the hardware seem to have shrunk so I left the hardware to be screwed into place by her husband after longer screws could be bought) ;o)

I'm thinking that the walls now need to be repainted in a different color. What do you think? Once you change one thing, it's like a chain reaction and everything else seems to need an update.

Blessings,
Lucy

Make sure to check out all of the amazing projects below to get more "Glitz and Glamor" furniture inspiration from my fellow DIY Furniture Girls...











20 comments

  1. Wow. What a transformation. The color is beautiful and the Pure & Original finish is amazing. Great job. Susie from The Chelsea Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great set! The fit the room so well too! Great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its perfect! Wonderful job!
    Hugs,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Using white wax was a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They turned out great! Thanks for visiting my blog and entering my contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, I love how it lightened up the whole room !
    ~Tami

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy.... Those tables were made for the white wax you used! I've been using white wax more lately and am hooked on how it adds character. Pinned! XO-Wendi@H2OBungalow

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pieces are so beautiful in blue and the wax really accentuates the details! French provincial is one of my favorites as well. I know she had to be thrilled with the results! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job, Lucy! Love the white wax effect, really worked on these tables!
    Kim @huntandhost

    ReplyDelete
  10. The new color really brightens up the whole room! The hardware is beautiful too - glad you left it unpainted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new color and white wax to bring out the details was just what this set needed. That hardware is so pretty and definitely didn't need paint. I can imagine that your client was super pleased with the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so yay! love the transformation..Gives me a lot of ideas for my room.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucy, nice update to these vintage pieces. The white wax was the perfect choice for those grooves! Pinning to share :)
    Marie from The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful job Lucy! I did not know there was white wax. I must get some! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete