Rustic Pallet Wood Barn Ornament

11 comments
Rustic Pallet Wood Barn Ornament
I know it's still fall but I have had Christmas on my mind lately since it's my favourite time of year. Today a few fellow bloggers and I will be sharing with you some projects made with "Reclaimed Wood". Another of my favourite things are miniature buildings so I chose to create a simple and rustic barn ornament that is relatively easy to make and costs next to nothing...

You can click on the links below to check out the rest of the projects...
DIY Wood Banner
Rustic Farmhouse Tray
DIY Street Number Sign
Tool Tote

What you will need for this project...

  • pallet wood (flat and without nails)
  • thin balsa wood (optional for the doors and hayloft cutout)
  • tongue depressor (for the roof)
  • red and grey craft paint
  • stain for wood (glaze or watered down paint would work also)
  • faux snow (recipe below) (optional)
  • glue stick and hot glue gun
  • mini bottle brush tree (optional)

Steps...

1) Find some pallet wood, thin balsa wood and a tongue depressor. 
2) Cut out a barn and silo shape out of the pallet wood. 
3) Paint the barn red as well as the top of the silo.
4)
Let the red paint dry and then paint the silo in gray. Once dry hot glue pieces together.

5) Using an exacto knife score the tongue depressor to fit the roof shape and snip an edge out to accomodate for the shape of the silo.  (You could use twigs or popsicle sticks if you can't find tongue depressors).
6) Cut a rectangular piece of thin wood for the doors and a square piece for the hayloft opening. Paint the hayloft opening black and the outline of the doors in a black double x pattern.
7) Add some white paint to the roof of the barn and silo, the top of the doors, window and ground. (Do not glue the pieces on until after you have added the faux snow in case of dripping).
8) You can add some faux snow to the roofs and add a snow covered mini bottlebrush tree to finish it off. You can find the recipe and detailed directions for the faux snow below.
I had always wanted to make fake snow to use for Christmas decorations and found a great recipe on Pinterest via Amy of Stow and Tell U. 

Recipe...

  • 1/2 cup Baking Soda
  • 1/2 cup White Glue
  • 2 tbsps. White Chalk Paint or Craft Paint

 
Directions...

Using a container of your choice add the first 3 ingredients. (I mixed mine in a plastic container that had a lid so that I could store it when not in use). Mix well with a whisk or fork, or hand held blender. The consistency should be like that of cream cheese frosting. Do a drip test on a piece of scrap wood. It should pretty much stay put. If it is too runny add more baking soda, if it is too thick, add more glue. It can be stored for a few days. The glitter is also optional, but should be sprinkled on top soon after. (Wash out your brushes when you are done with soap and water.)
Make sure to have the snow covered pieces dry vertically so that the drips will have gravity help to make them look more realistic. Make sure to add the glitter before the snow dries completely. Leave to dry overnight.

I added some white paint in spots where snow might naturally accumulate on top of the raised wooden details. The miniature bottle brush tree was simply dipped in the faux snow mixture and laid on its side to dry. Once dry I used a heavy duty pair of scissors to cut a piece off of the back so that it would be flatter for hot gluing onto the wood.

I think it would look great on a wreath or as an ornament hanging on a tree...


or simply on a shelf with some vintage bottle brush trees...

I love how the glittery snow looks on the top of all the details... and the rough texture of the pallet wood.

Make sure to check out my latest ornament, a little log cabin that you can find HERE.


Last year I made an ornament with pallet wood as well... a little country church. You can find the details on how to make it HERE. I enjoyed making these ornaments so much that I think I will add to the emerging town by make a different building to add to it next year.

Blessings, 


Lucy

11 comments

  1. Your ornaments turned out so great! I was noticing and pattern and wondering if you were working on a village. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my the snow is such a clever idea Lucy, truly super cute ornaments. You can make me about 15 of them now, can't you? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is seriously adorable, Lucy. With my obsession with barns, you gave me some crafting ideas to do for Christmas! The church is beautiful. If you're working on a small town, what's next??? General store??? I can't wait to see more. Love these ornaments!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ornament is darling, Lucy! SO creative and such a fabulous result. Thanks so much for sharing it with us all at Vintage Charm :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such adorable ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling pallet wood ornaments Lucy. The barn is my favorite! I have had Christmas on my mind as well. I've done a bit of crafting before time to pull out the décor. Thanks for sharing with SYC. Also, excited to have the faux snow recipe. I have bought it, but never made my own.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ornament Lucy, Very cute and oh so creative. Making snow is a fabulous idea. Thank you for sharing at DI&DI.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pinning. I just saw some similar decorations for $11 each. Well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely. I'll take rustic over cute any time.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is super cute! How creative and fun, great job :) Thank you so much for joining the party at Dishing It & Digging It!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ornament is adorable! I love it. Thank you for sharing at the Snickerdoodle Create~Bake~Make link party!

    ReplyDelete