Oatmeal Container & Old Hymnal Repurpose

27 comments
Oatmeal Container & Old Hymnal Repurpose
It's time for another Junk Revision Challenge. A monthly blog hop where we transform so called "junk" into something better. I love a good repurpose don't you! This month the challenge was to come up with repurposed "GIFT WRAP and CONTAINER" ideas. Come and check out what we each came up with and you may just be inspired! ...


I love a good creative challenge... and coming up with new ways to reuse things is something that I truly love… enter the humble Oatmeal Container... oh how I love thee... let me count the ways... They are round... my favourite shape (okay they are actually cylindrical, but they have a round top), they are sturdy, and you can store things in them...

Okay, so they aren't that pretty... but they are like a blank canvas waiting to be transformed into whatever your imagination can dream up...

Enter some old hymnal books bought at a garage sale for 25 cents each. I love the aged brown patina that time has kissed them with.

Now to figure out what to do with the two things...
Since I wanted to have the song titles be readable, using Mod Podge, I began covering the top edge with cut down pieces of book pages, followed by the full pages aligned at the bottom. There were no Christmas Carols in the books per se, but I did find a song called "He Had No Place to Lay His Head"... which inspired me to go on the lookout for a nativity scene appropriate to the title...

I found THIS wonderful nativity image on Pinterest. There is a free pdf that you can download off their site which has images for wood cuttings. I fell in love with it and decided that I would attempt cutting it with my Silhouette Cameo machine.

I decided that rather than have the silhouette cut in black that I would do it in white cardstock.

The next thing to do was to carefully brush Mod Podge to the back of it and adhere it to the lower part of the container. (I forgot to turn it over so the image was flipped, but thankfully it still looked great!) To add more interest, I adhered some silver tinsel ribbon and some faux evergreen sticks to the base of the container with hot glue.

For the upper part of the container I found some wide lace trim in a lovely off white and using double sided tape adhered it so that the bottom scallop allowed for the title of the song to be seen. I wanted to keep it relatively neutral so that the creche would be the first thing that your eyes were drawn to.
For the top of the lid, another page with title was cut and Mod Podged to cover it completely. More tinsel ribbon finishes it off. To create a gift tag, I cut some holly out of silver glittered paper and used a mini frame that is used for wedding favours. I simply turned the paper with photo to the back and added a name to it.
I like the idea of the gift box also being the gift and in this case... it can even stand in as a nativity display for those who don't have one. I love how it looks and am glad that the fragile page of that song has been brought out into the light to be the backdrop for the nativity and enjoyed by whoever ends up being the recipient of the gift in this container.

What I used for this project...

  • oatmeal container
  • old book pages or sheet music
  • crocheted lace/ribbon
  • silhouette cutting machine 
  • white card stock
  • Mod Podge
  • silver tinsel ribbon
  • faux evergreen sticks
  • double sided tape
  • hot glue gun and hot glue
  • mini frames wedding favors
  • silver glitter foam sheet
Remembering that Jesus is the reason for the season... 
I wish you all a Most Blessed and Merry Christmas!
Lucy

Make sure to check out more amazing gift wrap ideas by my fellow Junk Visionaries below...

For our last month's challenge I also repurposed an old cookie tin as a gift container...
 You can find all of the details HERE





27 comments

  1. Lucy, I just love how you took the sheet music and added the cut out to go along with it! Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute Lucy! I agree oatmeal containers are the best! Thank you for putting together such an awesome group! I am pinning your idea!

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost used an oatmeal container also, Lucy. They are the best. I love how you covered it in music paper and the cut out is perfect for it. So pretty. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy! Oh my word but I love this! I'm ready to really rock it this year with super fun gift wrap after the inspiration from everyone - my oatmeal is going to have to reside in a ziplock so I can have the box! And we will be eating canned food so I can have the cans - I really must start hoarding some 'trash' this next year so I can repurpose it come Christmas of 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Lucy! You are so creative. My favorite part is the sheet music. From now on I'll be saving all of my old oatmeal cans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful transformation.. I love your ideas. Thank you for sharing.. Blessings and joy to you!
    Tamara <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your idea, Lucy! This time of year we used to have tons of oatmeal containers since we used oatmeal to make "reindeer food" to pass out at school. Now that the kids are older we don't do that anymore:( But that's ok because I can just go out and get some! You really do some great stuff with your Silhouette machine. The mix of vintage music and creche scene is divine! xoKathleen Charm Bracelet Diva {At Home}

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit, I get a little attached to containers like your oatmeal one, too, lol. I just can't help appreciating the storage capabilities, anyway, your upcycled oatmeal container to gift container is so pretty and festive looking. I think you really captured that vintage look with this one. Thank you again for inviting me to the group, this is a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucy, this is so beautiful. What a great idea, oatmeal container? Love it! Also, using the hymnal book pages was the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and I share a love of book pages. This is so sweet. Such a beautiful job and a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lucy, I LOVE this! WOW I would have never thought an oatmeal container was underneath you beautiful piece! So festive, fun and beautiful! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing Lucy! I absolutely love the cutout of the nativity scene with the music. It's so creative and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautifully embellished container - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete