Yellow Farmhouse Corner Cabinet

10 comments
Yellow Farmhouse Corner Cabinet
When I heard about a new furniture makeover group for bloggers was starting I ran to join it. Furniture is my favourite canvas! Melody Smith of My Passion for Decor had the idea for a monthly furniture refresh blog hop to help smaller bloggers… and our first theme is "INSPIRED BY"… I don't know about you but I am always inspired by anything Farmhouse…



I found this cabinet at the thrift store for $20 a few months ago. I think it was home made but it was all wood and I could see the potential.  What attracted me to it first of course was the white shabby paint finish and the shape. But it screamed farm house cabinet to me... so I tried to figure out how to get it to look like it came from a farm house.

The first order at hand was to fill in the cutout lines. They really didn't add to the look I was going for…

I had heard about Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty and wanted to give it a try because when I had used plaster in the past, it inevitably shrunk after drying. This product said it did not shrink. I mixed it to a buttery consistency and began filling in the holes with a putty knife. It does look yellow when wet and when dry, which was the inspiration for choosing the colour for the piece.

I began by painting the exterior with a buttery yellow colour from my Blackberry House leftover paint stash. Enter my winnings from a draw for Fusion Paint… I used a mustard yellow colour that I had chosen to add a second tone of yellow to the cabinet. I painted the flat parts of the doors, the shelves and the back of the cabinet with the Fusion Mustard Yellow.

Some brown glaze added instant aging to the piece. I began with topping the mustard yellow with glaze and then the lighter yellow followed suit.

Of course I also distressed the paint where it would naturally have come off. I like that you can see the lighter yellow under the darker yellow in some spots.

And here it is all finished, styled with my favourite farmhouse accessories in green and cream. My husband originally told me that I had to sell it in my booth, but after seeing it painted has changed his mind… and we will be keeping it. ;o)

Here is a closer look at my accessories… I love how they look in this cabinet!



Just to see the difference here is the before and after next to one another.  The yellow colour makes me happy. Would you have kept it the way it was?  To me it is "Prim" Farmhouse perfection! ;o)

Blessings,

Lucy

You are sure to be inspired by all of the furniture refresh ideas below, so make sure to check them out! :o)


Sharing at…

Vintage Charm @ Charm Bracelet Diva
Silver Pernnies Sundays @ Finding Silver Pennies
Something to Talk About @ Spain Hill Farm
Vintage Inspiration Party @ My Salvaged Treasures
Amaze Me Mondays @ Dwellings
What's It Wednesdays @ Ivy & Elephants
Before and After Linkup @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Swing into Spring @ DIY by Design
Talented Tuesdays @ Home Remedies
Dream Create Inspire @ Vintage Refined
From Dream to Reality @ The DIY dreamer
Swing into Spring @ DIY by Design
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Creative Spark @ Weekend Craft
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Share Your Style @ Common Ground
Feathered Nest Fridays @ French Country Cottage
Creativity Unleashed @ Practically Functional
Fridays Unfolded @ Nancherrow
Shabbilicous Fridays @ The Shabby Art Boutique
Inspiration Friday @ The Painted Drawer
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
A morning Cup of Joe @ The Cottage Market
Simple and Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme
DIY Inspired @ The Girl Creative
Anything Blue Friday @ The Dedicated House
Upcycled Link Party @ Funky Junk Interiors
Saturday Sparks @ Pieced Pastimes
Share it One More Time @ One More Time Events
Sundays at Home @ Thoughts From Alice
Inspiration Monday @ Redhead Can Decorate
Inspire Me Monday @ Sand  and Sisal
The Scoop @ Stone Gable
Creative Spark @ Two Purple Couches




10 comments

  1. Love the makeover. I'm not a big fan of yellow, but the darkened down version you've made is really appealing and would work in any home. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks SO much better! But then, I'm a true farmhouse fan:) I actually have pretty much the same cabinet we bought when we first got married 20 years ago. It was made by Amish carpenters and is quite pretty, but I've wanted to paint it for a while now.....if I could just get the hubby on board maybe I'll try it! xokathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did and wouldn't have kept it the way it was before. I think you gave the cabinet a great farmhouse look. The colors and glaze you chose are perfect! Great work Lucy!! Thank you for participating in the #furnitureREFRESH and designing our logo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing redo!! Love the colors and the careful touch to do the distressing. This piece is a little farmhouse masterpiece. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! I recently did a farm house corner cabinet as well - Love them and styling them is always so fun. The pop of yellow on yours is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great Lucy - love the layered yellow color. Smart choice filling in the grooves in the trim pieces - so much better now ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like it much better after you painted it. Love the colors you chose and the painted background too. Great job. Thank you for sharing with us at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think yellow would have been my pick - but that would have been MY mistake! I love this transformation! I can see why your hubby decided to keep it. :) #furnitureREFRESH

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I love this! Just wanted to stop by and thank you for joining in on our Vintage Charm Link Party! Hope to see you next week:)xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, love love that color inside! Makes everything pop wonderfully! Tonight I hopped over from Vintage Charm, but so glad you shared this with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete