Tilt Top Table Gets an Antique Paint Finish

26 comments
Tilt Top Table Gets an Antique Paint Finish
It's been a while since we have had one of my favourite blog hops... but thankfully it is once again time for "Themed Furniture Makeover". This month's theme is "Shades of White". For this month's challenge I decided to paint a cute little table that had a folk style paint finish from the 80s and turn it into something that looked more like a Swedish Antique..


This is what it looked like when I bought it... I didn't even realize at the time that the top tilted down...
I made sure to take photos of the mechanism for future reference and to share with you... You can't see from the photos but the pedestal with legs is attached with a large screw to the underside of the square middle block.

I sanded down the middle painted area as there were dabs of paint that were quite raised in some spots. I left the rest and painted the top and peach areas in a medium brown colored furniture paint. The gold was not painted over with the brown since I wanted it and some of the peach to come through as well in the distressing stage.

In my rush to get it finished I didn't remember to take photos of the different stages, but I basically used some hand made casein paint with a recipe learned from the online Farragoz paint class. I actually had a buttery yellow batch of paint already mixed that had been sitting in the refrigerator for many months from a previous project. (And it was still good! Yay!) I figured I would use it as an undercoat to the final layer, but when it dried it was a lovely antique white so all that was left to do was to distress it...

You can see the distressing the best on the base and legs... I used a 5 in 1scraper tool, a sanding block and a sponge with scrubber to get through the layers. When distressing keep the shapes organic rather than lines at an angle and try to think where the piece would have distressed naturally. Look at pictures of real antiques for reference.

You could layer as many colors as you wanted... The centuries old recipe for this paint makes for easy distressing with realistic results... don't ya think so?


I am pleased as punch with the transformation. All that is left is for it to cure a little longer and to put a coat of clear wax on it. Oh and the sun to come out so I can get better pictures... but in the meantime I hope I have inspired you to see potential in a dated furniture piece...

Make sure to get more inspiration from my fellow bloggers and DIY Furniture Girls' projects below...

Blessings,
Lucy







Partying at these locations…














MONDAYS
Something to Talk About @ Spain Hill Farm
Inspire Me Monday @ Sand  and Sisal
The Scoop @ Stone Gable 
Before and After Linkup @ Thrifty Decor Chick

TUESDAYS
Moonlight and Mason Jars @ Cherished Bliss
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Vintage Inspiration Party @ My Salvaged Treasures
Dream Create Inspire @ Refresh Living
Swing into Spring @ DIY by Design
What's It Wednesdays @ Ivy And Elephants

WEDNESDAYS
Creative Spark @ Two Purple Couches
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Share Your Style @ The Vintage Nest
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch to Yours

THURSDAYS
Brag Worthy Thursday @ Bless'er House
Think and Make Thursdays @ Little Red Brick House
The Creative Circle @ Up to Date Interiors
Vintage Charm @ Charm Bracelet Diva
Shabbilicous Fridays @ The Shabby Art Boutique
Feathered Nest Fridays @ French Country Cottage
Simple and Sweet Fridays @ Rooted In Thyme
The Inspiration Gallery @ craftberry bush
Creativity Unleashed @ Practically Functional
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
the weekend retreat @ AKA Design
Inspiration Friday @ The Painted Drawer
Friday Favorites @ Remodelaholic

FRIDAYS
A morning Cup of Joe @ The Cottage Market
Upcycled Link Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

SATURDAYS
Saturday Sparks @ Pieced Pastimes
Share it One More Time @ One More Time Events
DIY Sunday Showcase @ The Interior Frugalista
Sundays at Home @ Love of Home

SUNDAYS
Silver Pennies Sundays @ Finding Silver Pennies
Inspired By You @ Reinvented
Inspiration Monday @ What Meegan Makes
Amaze Me Mondays @ Dwellings

26 comments

  1. If there was ever a piece in need of a makeover, this was it! It looks so much better with it's more current look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie table! I love the white finish you gave it Lucy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this table. The flip part about it is so much fun and I love how you finished it! BEautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty little table. I love how you refinished it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, that little table was in desperate need of attention...STAT. And you came in and gave it exactly what it needed. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE casein paint! You did a beautiful job with this table and the tilt feature makes it so useful in a small space:) Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely makeover, Lucy! I really could use this table....for many reasons...but I will share two. First, the redo rocks and second, it is so multifunctional. Love it, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this sweet makeover! Good to go for many years to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice makeover Lucy - quite the difference between before and after!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting little table! Great makeover :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucy,
    You made a huge transformation to your table. I love the technique you used because the aging looks so natural. Beautiful!
    Happy Creating,
    Karen Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. A tilt table!!!???...that is awesome. Such a pretty white and your distressing is spot on! Nice job friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the distressing! Lovely table....now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty makeover! The table has a great shape but the original paint job was dated. It's beautiful now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a pretty little makeover! Love some good distressing! :)
    xo
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a transformation! So much better now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job, Lucy! The power of paint strikes again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the change - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My mother had one of those tables. I wonder what my sister did with it. It would be a lot of fun to repaint it.

    You did a fabulous job on your redo.

    Thanks for Sharing Your Cup!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two different link parties, but zeroed in on your posts in both of them! Lovely job with the tilt table...I have a little stool that I want to distress and really like how yours turned out. Thanks again for the inspiration.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  21. The table turned out so nice. It has good lines and you did a great job updating it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The table looks beautiful! I'm getting inspiration for a chest of drawers which I need to paint :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cute little table Lucy! Thank you for linking up with Dream. Create. Inspire. Link! I am pinning!
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an adorable makeover! Thanks for sharing at the Creative Circle link party!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this, and ALL you link-ups to Vintage Charm! Thanks for sharing all your talents with us each week. Hope to see you there again tomorrow! xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete