Empire Desk in Midnight Blue

28 comments
Empire Desk in Midnight Blue
It's time for another Fab Furniture Flippin' Contest project... The theme for this month's contest is "A FRESH START" and this gorgeous desk that had seen better days sure needed one...


This month's sponsor is GENERAL FINISHES again, and this time it was to use their new Chalk Style paint...

(*Disclaimer:  I received product from them for use in this challenge, but all opinions are my own)

I had an idea of what piece I wanted to use for this challenge… now to decide what color to choose… no I didn't choose the bright yellow you see above... you should know me better...

I went with a color called "MIDNIGHT BLUE".

Now this is the piece I had in mind for this project... a desk that I had found at the thrift store last year and although the veneer had to be removed, I fell in love with the shape of it... I have a weakness for desks...

Even the veneer on the inside top was in bad shape. It looked like it had been repaired in the past.

The paint instructions required some sanding with 220 grit sand paper, but with the gloss finish that was on this piece,  I took out my handy mouse sander and had it do the job. The areas that I couldn't reach with the sander I sanded with paper. As you can see from the top, there were two different types of wood... and I knew that I was not about to replace the veneer with new one... so paint was the way to go...

The paint went on thick, gave great coverage in one coat and it dried very quickly. I love the flat finish and will protect it with some flat or matte varnish once it has had some time to cure. The color reminds me of new denim.

Don't you just love the scroll legs! When I first saw this piece my heart skipped a beat.

I distressed the edges of the top for some interest. I did distress the other parts but the red stain showed through and it just didn't look right. So I went back and painted the edges.

I kept the inside the same color to keep it simple... The little drawer was kept unpainted for some interest.

These knobs from D. Lawless Hardware (from my winnings from August's competition) just finish it off like a crisp white cotton shirt paired with a new pair of jeans. LOVE!

And just to see the before and after side by side...
Hope I have inspired you to get creative with your furniture flips!

To see all of the entries in the Fab Furniture Flippin' Contest head on over to Evey's Creations or Anastasia Vintage.

If you are a blogger who paints furniture and would like to take part in the Fab Furniture Flippin' Contest you can contact Stacy from Anastasia Vintage at info@anastasiavintage.com or Evey from Evey's Creations at info@eveyscreations.com.

Blessings,
Lucy

Partying at these locations...


MONDAYS

Something to Talk About @ 2 Bees in a Pod
Inspire Me Monday @ Sand  and Sisal
The Scoop @ Stone Gable 
Project Inspire @ Cupcakes and Crinoline
Before and After Linkup @ Thrifty Decor Chick

TUESDAYS
SITS Sharefest @ The SITS Girls
Moonlight and Mason Jars @ Cherished Bliss
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Talk of the Town @ My Repurposed Life
Dream Create Inspire @ Refresh Living
Swing into Spring @ DIY by Design
What's It Wednesdays @ Ivy And Elephants

WEDNESDAYS
Creative Spark @ Two Purple Couches
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Share Your Style @ The Vintage Nest
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch to Yours

THURSDAYS
Brag Worthy Thursday @ Bless'er House
Think and Make Thursdays @ Little Red Brick House
The Creative Circle @ Up to Date Interiors
Vintage Charm @ Charm Bracelet Diva
Shabbilicous Fridays @ The Shabby Art Boutique
Feathered Nest Fridays @ French Country Cottage
The Handmade Hangout @ Too Much Time on my Hands
Simple and Sweet Fridays @ Rooted In Thyme
The Inspiration Gallery @ craftberry bush
Creativity Unleashed @ Practically Functional
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
the weekend retreat @ AKA Design
Inspiration Friday @ The Painted Drawer

FRIDAYS
A morning Cup of Joe @ The Cottage Market
Upcycled Link Party @ Funky Junk Interiors
Best of the Weekend @ Sweet Pea

SATURDAYS
Saturday Sparks @ Pieced Pastimes
Share it One More Time @ One More Time Events
DIY Sunday Showcase @ The Interior Frugalista
Sundays at Home @ Love of Home

SUNDAYS
Silver Pennies Sundays @ Finding Silver Pennies
Inspired By You @ Reinvented
Inspiration Monday @ What Meegan Makes
Amaze Me Mondays @ Dwellings







28 comments

  1. What a cute empire! I have a weakness for little desks myself Lucy, there are three waiting in the wings for refab over here. You would go ga ga over the vintage one with turned legs... Great save BTW, and great color choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sexy legs on that desk!!! The color is perfect also it gives it a certain class. !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, love your color choice! And those knobs...you are right...perfect compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this piece! You chose the perfect color (which I think I now need to add to my paint stash) and you did such a nice job pulling it all together. What a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies! I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and leave such nice comments! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really, really lovely, and something that I'd definitely want in my house! And you're right: the legs alone make it worth refurbishing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the updated look. Midnight blue is such a pretty color. I almost picked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I share your weakness for old desks - you did a fantastic job on this. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You worked your magic on this desk - it's gorgeous now! I love old desks, too. This is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous color and gorgeous desk. Great makeover, Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such an eye for those classically elegant pieces. I love the rich color choice, it's perfect Lucy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this transformation. Great color choice. I just transformed a very similar desk secretary. Would love for ryou to come check it out at http://bit.ly/DeskSecretary. My blog is Altered Artworks.wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous blue color. It makes the desk look so elegant. I love it. Very nice job, and thanks for showing how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The transformation from forlorn to unforgettable is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot believe that it is the same piece. What vision you had to know that you could bring it back to life. Midnight blue is a great color choice.

    Thanks for Sharing Your Cup!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucy, this is stunning. That was a ton of work, but worth every bit of energy you put into it. Well done and the color is just so beautiful.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - this is beautiful! I love the color you chose, and it pairs perfectly with the white knobs you used. What a makeover; that piece was ROUGH before! Thanks for sharing at The DIY Collective.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome job! I have been looking for one of these to redo for a long time. Navy is one of my very favorite colors! Truly great job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lucy I love this! I'm always scared of furniture with veneer that has to be removed. Wish I had your sander! Your color choice was great, and I love the white that pops. Those legs really are special. xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lucy, this desk makeover looks fantastic!! Love the midnight blue color!! Those knobs are pretty rockin' too!! Nice work bringing this guy back to life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the paint and hardware combo! Very fun. I haven't had the chance to try GF's chalk paint yet but I LOVE their other products so I'm sure I'll love it too. Found you from the Fab Friday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your empire desk! and the hardware is perfect! Great color ... soooo pretty now! I hope you have a great weekend!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous transformation and I love the color.
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that is an amazing transformation Lucy! I love the color you chose and the contrast of it with the knobs. Beautiful. Thanks so much for partying with us @ Dream. Create. Inspire. Link:). Hope you had a great weekend and take care, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your before and after photos speak volumes. You really had to work to get the desk ready to paint. I love your choice of Midnight Blue. The knobs are very cute and you did a lovely job staging this piece. I saw your link at Cindy's Amaze Me Monday party.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the color! You did a beautiful job bringing this one back to life. It needed your touch. Thanks for sharing at the Creative Circle link party!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This desk looks so nice now! I love the color you chose for it. What a great transformation!

    ReplyDelete